Saturday, June 02, 2007

Just Some Psychedelic Musings

I was born at the wrong place at wrong time. That was the conclusion I came to after having read many books, seen many movies, that were based in the, now cliched term, the ’swinging sixties’.

Think about it, the era has had a lasting impression on art, architectuture, fashion, feminism, social values, even sexual interaction. I can’’t help but wonder what it must have been like to be in San Francisco or New York and actually see the world change around you. It was the age of bell bottoms, geometric prints, multi colored beads, mods, mini skirts, PVC, aroma candles, incense sticks, riveting philosophy and intriguing politics! Imagine what it must be like, to have been growing up in an iconic decade that defined and shifted so many values across so many varied interest fields.

I just finished reading biographies of Morrison and Janis Joplin and just started on the biographies of Jefferson Airplane and Hendrix and these books have just gotten me even more curious. Curious enough to wish, I really could have experienced the ’sixties’. It was a period that seems too mind-boggling to be even real.

Its not about the crazy fashion (thank god, that has passed) or even the drug induced haze but it’s just the knowledge and power of being part of something that you knew for a fact was changing eveything, that nothing would be the same anymore.

There’s this song that I heard.. Sandi Thom’s, “I wish I was a punk rocker (with flowers in my hair)”, the lyrics to which are:

Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
In 77 and 69 revolution was in the air
I was born to lead into a world that doesn’t care
Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair

When the head of state didn’t play guitar,
Not everybody drove a car,
When music really mattered and when radio was king,
When accountants didn’t have control
And the media couldn’t buy your soul
And computers were still scary and we didn’’t know everything

When pop-stars still remained a myth
And ignorance could still be bliss
And when God Saved the Queen she turned a whiter shade of pale
When my mom and dad were in their teens
And anarchy was still a dream
And the only way to stay in touch was a letter in the mail

When record shops were still on top
And vinyl was all that they stocked
And the super info highway was still drifting out in space
Kids were wearing hand me downs,
And playing games meant kick around
And footballers still had long hair and dirt across their face

I was born to lead to a world that doesn’t care
Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair

Interesting huh? Now am just going to go and day dream some more……

No comments: